Protecting your confidential info is essential, but a Windows login password is no longer effective. What’s better is to learn how to password protect a folder in Windows 10.
Many people think that setting up a Windows password will keep everything secure and safe. But, unfortunately, risks abound!
There is no denying that a Windows login password provides basic protection. Thus, individuals with more profound IT knowledge can easily circumvent this security measure. Thus, it is necessary to apply more effective measures.
So let’s find out how to password protect a folder in Windows 10.
- Why Should You Protect Files With A Password?
- 5 Ways To Password Protect Folder Windows 10 (Detailed Instructions)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should You Protect Files With A Password?
As mentioned above, a Windows login password cannot protect you from professional hackers. That is the reason why you need better security measures.
On the other hand, if you share a computer with others, there’s always the chance that they accidentally delete essential documents, accidentally modify the wrong files, or share your private folders.
Sometimes, you are your own enemy. Sharing sensitive information via email with the wrong recipient is one of the most common scenarios, which is awful.
One of the effective solutions to deal with these risks is to add important documents to a separate sensitive file. You will be asked to enter your password every time you access that file, which slows you down a bit. As a result, mistakes are unlikely to happen.
It is best to use strong passwords so that no one can guess your password. In addition, we also provide some other popular solutions to password protect a folder in windows 10. Let’s explore!
5 Ways To Password Protect Folder Windows 10 (Detailed Instructions)
Use Built-in Encryption Option
Windows 10 has a built-in encryption option to encrypt and secure user folders.
While this solution won’t add password protection to your folders, it makes sure other user accounts can’t access these folders. After applying this solution, all your folders will be accessible only through your user account and password.
- Let’s start with right-clicking on your folder and choosing “Properties.”
- Choose “Advanced” at the General tab and tick the box next to “Encrypt content to secure data.”
- Finally, click “OK” to finish applying the encryption option to your folder.
- If the process is successful, you will see a small yellow lock on the file icon. Then, if you add new content to this folder, it will automatically be encrypted as well.
- This feature is not available on all devices. If it is not available on your computer, the “Encrypt contents to secure data” option will be grayed out.
- This solution is pretty easy to circumvent. Specifically, if someone has your user account, he can access your folder.
Use BitLocker Encryption
BitLocker is a volume encryption feature available on some newer versions of Windows (starting with Windows Vista). By using this excellent feature, you can password protect any non-system as well as non-recovery partitions on your device. Here’s how to enable it:
- Type “BitLocker” into the Windows search bar and press “Enter.”
- Once the BitLocker Drive Encryption settings page appears, select “Turn on BitLocker” for the drive you want to protect.
- As mentioned above, this feature is not available on all versions. Specifically, it is only available on the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10.
- You will need to enter your password to access that drive after every restart.
- Also, it is wise to use a USB flash drive for added security.
Apply Third-Party Utilities
There are many utilities that allow you to lock your folders in Windows 10. One of the most popular utilities is Easy File Locker which is provided for free. This software has many valuable options available; These include:
- Hide a folder
- Make a folder inaccessible
- Make a folder undeletable
- Deny any changes
- And more
Alternatively, you can try some other folder lock software like Folder Lock or Folder Guard. However, you need to pay to use these apps.
If you are looking for other free software like Easy File Locker, consider SecretFolder. This software also works as Easy File Locker
Use File Compression Tools
It is possible to use a file archiving tool to compress a folder and add password protection to it; Some recommended options are WinZip (free), 7Z (free), WinRAR (free), etc.
Here’s how they work:
- Once you’ve installed one of our recommended tools, you’ll see an “Add to Archive” (or something similar) after right-clicking on the target folder.
- Then, select “Set Password.”
- After the next window appears, enter the password and click OK to finish
- Your folder will be archived and will require a password for decompression.
Use OneDrive Personal Vault
Last but not least, OneDrive Personal Vault is also a great option to protect your confidential files in Windows 10. It is Microsoft’s cloud storage service that is considered a formidable competitor to Google Drive. This software is available for mobile devices and Windows 10.
This software allows you to password protect the files and folders on your device. In addition, it provides an additional layer of security with Two-factor Authentication (2FA).
This software has OneDrive home and personal plans available. Unfortunately, it does not offer business and school plans yet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an effective password?
To create an effective password, you need to follow these steps:
– Make your password long.
Ideally, your password should be at least 15 characters long or more if possible.
– Apply a mix of characters.
Your password will be more secure if you mix many letters (upper and lowercase), symbols, and numbers.
– Don’t use memorable keyboard paths.
You should not use sequential numbers and letters as well as sequential keyboard paths.
What should I do if I forget my Windows login password?
It is best to get help from a trusted IT technician.
Through this article, we have provided you the five ways to password protect folder windows 10. So, let’s choose the best way to improve your privacy. If you know any other ways, please share them with us in the comments section below.