WiFi Direct has been widely applied in our lives. However, many people are not aware of its existence. So let’s explore what WiFi direct Windows 10 is!
Communication plays an essential role in our daily lives, doesn’t it? When it comes to technology, Bluetooth and NFC are our proud achievements.
However, you may not have heard of WiFi Direct – another of their competitors. Don’t confuse WiFi and WiFi Direct! WiFi Direct allows you to transfer files as well as do other exciting stuff.
In this article, we will discuss WiFi direct Windows 10 and how it can be used. So let’s get into the details!
- Overview Of WiFi Direct
- How To Check For WiFi Direct Support On Your Windows
- How To Enable WiFi Direct On Windows 10
- How To Send Files Using WiFi Direct
- Frequently Asked Questions
Overview Of WiFi Direct
WiFi Direct is a communication standard that makes use of radio signals used by WiFi (most commonly 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). It allows two devices to establish a direct, peer-to-peer connection without requiring an existing WiFi network or a wireless route.
WiFi Direct and Bluetooth have some similarities, although they are different. Like Bluetooth, WiFi Direct allows you to transfer files between devices seamlessly; it is possible to share the screen of this device with another device. Furthermore, you can directly play games and share the internet connection.
WiFi Direct may have been around you all the time without you even realizing it. For example, a service like Miracast helps you cast your Android device’s screen to your TV screen. Using WiFi Direct on Windows 10 allows you to explore even more possibilities.
How To Check For WiFi Direct Support On Your Windows
Are you wondering if your computer supports WiFi Direct? Do not worry. By performing the following steps, you can quickly check if you can use this feature.
Let’s start by opening the search bar on the taskbar. To do that, press the Windows + S key combination or click the magnifying glass icon.
Next, type “PowerShell” in the search box. After that, right-click on the “Windows PowerShell” item and select “Run as Administrator.”
At the “Windows PowerShell” window, type “ipconfig /all” and press Enter.
After completing the above step, a list will appear in the PowerShell window, which shows all network adapters and connections.
If “Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter” appears in this list, your PC is ready to enable WiFi Direct connections.
However, if “Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter” is not available in this list, purchase and attach a third-party USB WiFi device to your computer.
How To Enable WiFi Direct On Windows 10
If your computer supports this feature, it allows you to connect to other WiFi Direct-enabled computers. To locate other WiFi Direct enabled devices nearby, it is possible to use search and discovery features of Windows.
- Step 1: Open the “Windows Settings” menu by right-clicking the Start menu and choose “Settings.”
- Step 2: After the “Add a device” window appears, select the type of device you want to connect. In the “Settings” window, click on “Devices” and choose “Add Bluetooth or other device.”
- Step 3: After the “Add a device” window appears, select the type of device you want to connect. For example, many WiFi Direct devices are used for screen mirroring. Select the “Wireless display or dock” or ” Everything else” options if you want to connect to one of these devices.
- Step 4: A list of available devices around you will appear. These include smart TVs, smartphones, game consoles, and more. Click on the device you want to connect.
- Step 5: After selecting the target device, press “Done” to complete the connection process.
After connecting for the first time, this device will be available in the list of known devices in the Bluetooth & other devices menu.
Overall, this method allows you to connect to most WiFi Direct devices. However, you can use other methods to connect. So it is best to consult the manuals for those devices before making the connection.
How To Send Files Using WiFi Direct
WiFi Direct allows you to transfer a large number of files from one device to another with ease.
Files can be transferred using Bluetooth. However, transferring large files via Bluetooth will take longer than with WiFi Direct.
If you use an Android device, it is wise to use the Feem app, which is available for Windows 10 and Android. Currently, WiFi Direct is not available for iPhone and iPad; However, Feem offers an alternative method to transfer files on those devices. Here is how it works.
- Step 1: Let’s start by installing the Feem app on your Windows PC and Android device. Then, open this app on both devices once the installation is complete.
- Step 2: For Android devices, open the Feem app and tap the “Turn on WiFi Direct” slider to enable the WiFi Direct hotspot for the Windows device to connect to.
- Step 3: For Windows devices, connect to the WiFi network provided by the Android device. To do that, you need to click on WiFi/Network on the taskbar and select the temporary WiFi network.
- Step 4: Once the connection is complete, open the Feem app on your Windows PC. The Android device will be displayed on the left side; Then, proceed to send your files. It is possible to send files in the opposite direction. That means you can choose your PC in the Feem app on Android.
- Step 5: Once the sending of files is complete, turn off the WiFi Direct hotspot on your Android device.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is WiFi Direct used for?
File Transfer: WiFi Direct is an excellent way to quickly share large files from one device to another.
Print photos on wireless printers: WiFi Direct connection is ideal for wireless printing.
Screen Sharing: This feature can be used for all kinds of screen-sharing tasks.
Play games together: You and your friends can connect to WiFi Direct to play games together.
Enable NFC: NFC connections tend to use WiFi Direct to transmit information.
Is WiFi Direct safe?
Wi-Fi Direct offers several security advantages when compared to other peer-to-peer connections. However, this connection is also not immune to security risks.
WiFi Direct can be especially risky when used while one device is connected to another network simultaneously. Direct connections, especially if using the older WPS protocol, can be hacked with sophisticated hacking techniques.
Besides, if someone has access to the device via Wi-Fi Direct, they can also access other connected networks. Hence, a lot of private data can be stolen.
If you use your WiFi Direct connection frequently, you should learn how your device secures this connection. In addition, try to disable any unnecessary automatic direct connect features and disconnect WiFi Direct when finished.
Do all Android phones support Wi-Fi Direct?
All Android devices using Android 4.0 and above support WiFi Direct.
Is Wi-Fi Direct the same as Bluetooth?
Wi-Fi Direct is different from Bluetooth, although they have many similarities in features. For example, Wi-Fi Direct allows devices to communicate wirelessly without requiring any additional specialized hardware.
So we had discussed how to use WiFi Direct on Windows 10. In general, WiFi Direct brings a lot of benefits to us. If you don’t feel like using it, turning to Bluetooth is also a viable option to transfer files. Remember to enable Bluetooth before attempting to make a connection.